On my way out of North Carolina, I stopped in Hickory to have a BBQ lunch with photographer Aaron Canipe. When I arrived home in Oakland, his new book Saturday Fight Night had arrived in my mailbox.
Aaron photographs the South that my father grew up in. In this collection, he takes on amateur wrestling (rasslin) matches in Catawba County. I remember that my father would tell me about amateur wrestling in his hometown, a confusing mix of violence and showmanship. The line between cartoon violence and real violence is disorienting and disturbing. I’m not sure whether or not the blood is real and therefore unsure how to respond.
- dothecranberrry likes this
- camcpk likes this
- kot-ton reblogged this from mysteriesmanners and added:
- partylifestyle likes this
- mysteriesmanners reblogged this from fullspectrumrecords and added:
- mysteriesmanners likes this
- fullspectrumrecords posted this